To Do Today:
- Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuWM897mjI and then complete the Video – Key ideas summary in your packet (page 82-83)
- Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZFKuThUvA and then complete the Video – Key ideas summary in your packet (page 108-109)
Complete both summaries and watch both videos. These are due today.
Other Things to Do Today:
- IXL math and novel reading
- Start reading two more articles about your topic
- You can use any source – World Book, Wikipedia, online, etc.
- Be sure to record (write down) your source and ask if you are not certain that it is credible or trustworthy
- Start article summary #5 (page 90-91) and #5 (page 92-92)
- Start your rough draft (page 95-98) of the research paper
- You must use your outline (that was due last week)
- Write in your packet
- State your topic
- State your thesis
- Have three sections (introduction, main body, conclusion)
- Include at least 4 sources
- Include at least 1 citation sandwich
- Aim for 2-4 pages (not double spaced)
- Writing using paper and a pencil for this draft
The Five Fs Are:
At this stage (writing the draft) you are using filler the most.
There are many kinds of filler, including:
- Quotations (citations)
Filler is what you use to “beef up” your paper with facts and ideas that prove your thesis. Each paragraph is about one main idea. The filler for that paragraph proves or explains that idea. Filler matters because it makes the paper interesting and helps you prove your point.
How do you write a citation sandwich?
Example: There are many kinds of dogs. According to Smith (2002), “More than 500 kinds of dogs exist” (pg. 209). This means that you can choose from all the different kinds of dogs.
When citing use this format: According to ______ (____), “____________________________________________________” (pg. ___).
If you don’t know the date or there is not a page number, leave those out of the citation. Be sure to explain what the quote from the text (the citation) means in the next sentence.